Manasamitra is an artist-led organisation based in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, delivering a range of exciting and original cross-cultural experiences. Our work is rooted in the creative vision of Supriya Nagarajan, a classically-trained Carnatic singer who is inspired by not only the traditions of her South Asian roots but also by a drive to work with new ideas, forms and aesthetics from across the world, presented within a contemporary British context.
Dates for performances, events and activities
|17 Feb '24
|Duncan Chapman’s SOUND WALKS
|Dewsbury Town Hall, Dewbury
|1 May '24
|Lullaby Sonic Cradle
|Portsmouth Guildhall, Portsmouth
|2 May '24
|Lullaby Sonic Cradle
|Woolwich Works, London
Manasamitra is excited to be developing the Festival of Conversations for Kirklees 2023.
The Festival will connect with different community groups, leading conversation sessions to discover what is interesting, exciting, infuriating or amusing to the local people and to hear their stories.
The very latest updates and announcements about projects, commissions, performances and activities in the world of Manasamitra
- Sounds Of Dewsbury – Woven Strut 2Manasamitra presents Duncan Chapman’s SOUND WALKS as part of WOVEN’s STRUT 2 on Saturday 17th February, starting at Dewsbury Town Hall at 11am, 12.30 & 2pm. Free event.
- AlaiA new release – ALAI – has all the elements of Donna’s textured layers of electronic music combined with Supriya’s melodic voice interludes. The result is a WAVE of music that is subtle and yet exciting.
- Festival of Conversations Fun PalaceThe Festival of Conversations ‘Fun Palace’ invites you to join us in a day of fun-filled activities, run by and for local community groups.Come and join us in making some Christmas cards, trying some natural dying, having a go at a heritage quiz, maybe win a prize and much, much more …
- Sounds of DewsburyJoin artist Duncan Chapman for three 15-minute guided tours around the town to see it in a new light! Produced with Manasamitra and Sam Hodgson, each focuses on a different way of experiencing the environment.
- The Weirdness of Water: an Evening with Alok JhaAlok Jha reads from The Water Book and talks about “the unexpected weirdness of water and why it’s because of that weirdness that life exists on Earth”.
- Jan Courtney and Juicy Crones – A Festival of Conversations eventJoin us for a wonderful, uplifting and funny evening of conversation, laughter and literature. Manasamitra is overjoyed to welcome Jay Courtney, as our second Festival of Conversations event, to read from her new book Juicy Crones and lead a conversation about the joys and challenges of being an older woman.
Manasamitra productions currently available for booking.
Manasamitra is excited and delighted to bring you The Sound of Tea –a show about our relationship with TEA.
After a year of working remotely and in digital format, we can present, live, new music and performance art mixed with visuals and soundscapes, participatory tea rituals and technology-filled tables with touch-screens for audience members to interact with the performance in real time.
Lullaby – Sonic Cradle is an immersive music performance for family audiences and adults alike.
Inspired by the sounds of nature at dusk Manasamitra has created and recorded a suite of new music.
Stories from around the world swirl together with music to create the background to a restful and meditative bedtime story ritual.
A brand new ensemble that merges cultures, stretches musical boundaries and creates a space where new ideas can emerge from a place of friendship and the unmitigated joy of playing music that is un-scripted.
Sonic Threads is an exciting and unique new duo consisting of internationally-renowned classical Indian vocalist Supriya Nagarajan and Lucy Nolan, classically-trained harpist and noted soloist in her own right.